Our love affair with L. Mawby Vineyards on Michigan’s Leelanau Peninsula dates back to 2011.
It was our first stop on our first vacation as a couple. We got engaged there. Heck, we even ordered three cases of their wine with custom labels to use as centerpieces at our wedding.
Beyond sentimental ties, L. Mawby is a Northern Michigan treasure that we think should be enjoyed by all wine lovers. It’s always our first recommendation when asked where to go around Traverse City. We promote their wines to friends and family so much, you’d swear we were on the payroll.
What sets L. Mawby apart from other wineries? It has an unintimidating and upbeat atmosphere, enthusiastic staff, and darn good wine.
Upon entering the tasting room, you’re greeted with smiling faces and a warm welcome. You feel like you’re entering a friend’s house, a refreshing change compared to the traditional tasting room vibe.
Whether you’re a sparkling wine novice or expert, you’ll feel right at home at L. Mawby.
You are invited to try a complimentary sampling, which is great if you’re new to the winery or want to warm up before you order a flight. Wines from the L. Mawby and M. Lawrence brands are available for tasting and purchase.
The passionate staff will steer you in the right direction based on your preferences. Whether you like your wine sweet or dry, you’re bound to find something you enjoy.
After finding the wine that’s just right for you, you can order a flight that includes two glasses of wine and crackers with spread (we recommend the fish pate).
The tasting room melts into its vineyard surroundings. You can take a seat indoors, in the covered indoor/outdoor seating area, or at an outdoor picnic table. Wherever you sit, your blood pressure is bound to drop as you enjoy some of Michigan’s finest wine.
The fun wine names pair well with the personality of the tasting room. Names like Sex and Detroit are among the unique wine names.
The sparkling wines, traditionally associated with celebrations, pair well with the fun, laid back atmosphere. If you visit on a Saturday afternoon in the summer, you may run into a bachelorette party or two. In fact, they even offer a bachelorette flight featuring pours of Jadore and Sex.
If you’re looking for a little guidance, here are our favorites:
- M. Lawrence Sex: A dry rose perfect for any occasion.
- M. Lawrence Sandpiper: Made with a variety of grapes, Sandpiper is one of our favorites. Stock up on a few bottles when you’re at the winery because it’s not distributed across the state.
- M. Lawrence Detroit: A demi-sec with fruity aromas.
Once you fall head over heels for L. Mawby wines, you can become a Bubblehead by joining their FIZZ club. Club members receive a shipment of four bottles, three times per year, plus other exclusive perks.
From its laid back, unpretentious vibe, a staff that’s passionate about the wines they represent, and fizztastic wines, L. Mawby has found the recipe for success.
Larry Mawby, founder, summed it up best in our email interview.
“I’m very happy that our simple goal of growing grapes and making wines is working, for us in particular, but for so many others, too,” commented Mawby.
MI-5 with Larry Mawby
We asked Larry Mawby about five of his favorite Michigan things. Here’s what he had to say.
- When you aren’t at the winery, where is your favorite place in Michigan to kick back and relax? My patio with wife and friends.
- What are some of your go to restaurants in Traverse City? Cook’s House, Trattoria Stella, Amical, and Bistro FouFou.
- If Traverse City had its own hot dog style, what would be on it? Pickled leeks and stone ground cherry mustard.
- What is your favorite Michigan beverage that isn’t sparkling? Leelanau Peninsula Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
- What is on your Michigan bucket list? Spending extended time on Beaver Island in the winter.
L. Mawby is located at 4519 Elm Valley Rd, Suttons Bay, Michigan.